Melinda Beck practices in the areas of conservation, development, land planning and zoning, residential and commercial real estate and real property transfers.
On the conservation side, Melinda assists local governments, land trusts and private landowners with purchases and donations of conservation easements throughout the United States and internationally. In her career, Melinda has completed hundreds of conservation transactions including:
- Numerous purchases and bargain sales of conservation easements using funds from local, state and federal funding agencies such as Federal Farm and Ranchlands Protection Program, administered by the Natural Resources Conservation Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, North American Wetlands Conservation Act administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Great Outdoors Colorado, Colorado Parks and Wildlife, Routt County, Douglas County, Boulder County, Park County, Adams County, Eagle County, and other local, state and federal agencies;
- Purchases of open space property by Douglas County, Colorado, including Greenland Ranch;
- Donation of a conservation easement in Costa Rica; and
- Pro bono representation of land trusts including Douglas Land Conservancy (DLC), Colorado Open Lands (COL), the Colorado Coalition of Land Trusts (CCLT), South Metro Land Conservancy (SMLC) and Minnesota Land Trust (MLT).
She also advises developers on projects that provide for the conservation of land while permitting limited development, including the use of Transferrable Development Rights and Purchased Development Rights.
As a development, land planning and zoning attorney, Melinda is a former assistant county attorney for Douglas County, Colorado and assists landowners and developers seeking approvals from local governments, including the following types of transactions:
- Creation of rural site plans and other conservation limited development projects;
- Revisions to site plans to facilitate purchase and sale of commercial properties;
- Special use permits for industrial and commercial uses such as RV campground, woodworking business, landfill, equestrian center, wedding venue, airfield residential development, and other uses;
- Zoning for residential and commercial uses; and
- Subdivision and replat of commercial and residential properties.
Melinda also has extensive experience in the creation and revision of land use regulations throughout Colorado.
In addition to her land planning and conservation experience, Melinda assists landowners in general real estate transactions, including:
- Acquisition/disposition of retail centers, warehouse and distribution facilities, residential bulk lots, large ranches and single-family residences;
- Leasing of office, retail and individual space, including retail stores, restaurants and fitness facilities;
- Financing of real property including commercial, retail and agricultural properties;
- Representation of national homebuilders;
- Real property conveyances including minerals and water; and
- Real property issues arising in mid-stream oil and gas operations, including right-of-way agreements, easements and land use approvals.
- Real Estate, Energy & Natural Resources
- University of Denver, Sturm College of Law, J.D. (1994)
- Pomona College, B.A. Economics (1988)
Bar and Court Admissions
- Colorado (1994)
- Other Professional Affiliations
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Coalition of Land Trusts
- Land Trust Alliance
- Pomona College Alumni Association
Contact Melinda Beck
REMINDER: This listing is a free service of ColoradoLandCAN.
Melinda Beck is not employed by or affiliated with the Colorado Land Conservation Assistance Network, and the Network does not certify or guarantee their services. The reader must perform their own due diligence and use their own judgment in the selection of any professional.
Contact Melinda Beck
Lewis, Bess, Williams & Weese P.C.
One Civic Center Plaza, Suite 1400
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: 303-861-2828 ext 2503
Fax: (303) 861-4017
Statewide service provider in: